Kal Ho Na Ho (There may or may not be a tomorrow)... Purpose: To simply hone my writing skills, discuss random matters, get feedback from interesting people, and keep track of life. If there are ANY questions, suggestions (think helpful or productive), opposing opinions or such feelings, feel FREE to comment. As the title states, it's all about living, learning, and loving. All contents Copyright 2006.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Weekly Sports News - NBA

NBA

As far as the NBA is concerned, the best news for now (as a Wadeness) is that D-Wade and the Heat have agreed to a five year contract extension. The contract is valued at $75-85 million dollars. The contract cannot be signed until July 12th according to the league rules. If the contract weren't offered, Wade would become a free agent in the 2007-2008 season. He has a rookie contract with the Heat (from 2003) that ends at the end of the 2006-2007 season. I wouldn't want Wade (my favorite NBA player) on any other team than my home team.

That being said, I do think the salaries of such athletes are clearly excessive.

Take Ben Wallace for example:This guy here has been the face of the Detroit Pistons for the last six years. Now he has agreed to a contract with the Chicago Bulls for a $60 million dollar deal for a four year contract! I do feel the pain and strange predicament for Detroit fans. The two most speculated reasons for his decision: 1. Ben is going towards the end of his career and was looking for a maximum payout deal. 2. Flip's offensive mindset doesn't suit Ben. As with most things in life, it's probably a combination of both. I also think it's for the best. Detroit now has a offensive minded coach. Ben Wallace has repeatedly expressed concerns earlier about his role in the team under Flip's guidance. Now the Pistons can get more firepower in terms of offense through their new center Nazr (once a starting center for the Spurs). Also, the Pistons haven't lost as much defensively as many people might think. They still have great defense in the form of McDyess and Hunter. Also, the rest of the starting four and Rasheed have more than enough experience in a situation requiring a defensive mindset.

As for the Bulls end of the deal, they got what they were looking for- a dominant big man and a defensive edge in Wallace. Unfortunately, it had to cost them $60 million over the course of four years. Let's not forget, this guy doesn't provide too many offensive options. He can't make free throws. Also, he will only get older as time passes.

So, in the end, of course there are pluses and minuses, but it may not be as bad for the Pistons as it looks. As for now, Pistons are facing a new frontier, Bulls are gaining strength, Cavs are with more experience, Nets are still the Nets, and the Heat will now return as the defending champions. The East should be quite exciting in the upcoming season.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carina said...

I already noticed that you're interested in sports...:-)
Well, I don't watch all of the soccer matches especially not now that Germany lost. I usually listen to the radio after a game was played to find out who won.

I used to be more interested in Basketball and I also played it myself so I do know who Dirk Nowitzki is :-))

I'll also try to update my blog again some time. I know I haven't been too creative the last days...

1:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home